Noticing the world around us …
Be curious, and catch sight of the beautiful, remark on the unusual. Notice the changing seasons. Be aware of the world around you and what you are feeling. Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you.
- Practice yoga or meditation, or get a mirimiri (massage) infusing your body in oil and releasing tension from your body.
- Try to get out of your work environment during breaks. Go for a walk into a nearby park or natural area, being mindful of your breathing, your footsteps and the environment around you.
- Spend time gardening or create a green space in your home or office where you could grow a few small plants, such as herbs, on a windowsill.
- Take notice of the night sky. Be aware of what phase the moon is in and how the visible constellations change throughout the year.
- Go for a bush walk, try to identify the different animal and plant species you see and photograph them while taking the time to really notice what you are photographing.
- Take the time to give a special thank you to people who support you every day.
- At the end of the day ask friends, family or colleagues what the best thing was about their day and listen with interest when they respond.
- Begin meetings with a karakia (prayer) or short reflection (eg, an inspiring quote) followed by a brief silent period, allowing people to breathe mindfully and bring their full attention into the room. End in a similar fashion
These tips have been borrowed from: